Monday, April 17, 2023

Today Is Monday April 17, 2023; This Is What Happened.

 

Yesterday, I was googling to find out what the students' required reading in the past was, and I need help finding something.

What possibility my parents and their generation required reading might have in school. I looked up some of what I read and the year it was published.

Like:

To Kill a Mockingbird was published in 1960.

Lords of Flies was published in 1954.

Hamlet was published in 1601. So plenty of generation has passed.

Animal Farm was published in 1945.

Fahrenheit 451 was published in 1953.


Every book listed, except Hamlet. My parents would have been out of school. My mom would have graduated in 1942, and my dad's high school graduation would have been in 1923.

Question time...Do you recall what was required reading in school? What has been listed above and also The Diary of a Young Girl and War of World. And I know they were others, but I'm not recalling them.


Took a short walk before I went to work. Nothing new at work. 


Coffee is on, and stay safe.

11 comments:

  1. I think our reading material was quite similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hamlet and Lord of the Flies were part of my college course. I taught Animal Farm. Enjoyed reading Mockingbird. Want to read Fahrenheit.
    Dickens was constant presence in school when I was a student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is me. Wonder why the comment became anonymous. Tomichan Matheikal.

      Delete
    2. I'm clueless. When I came home from work and turn on my lap top. Everyone who left a comment is now anonymous. Hopefully it will be resolved.

      Delete
  3. Animal Farm, and Walden are two I remember. I have re-read Walden a dozen times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...all of these were in my school library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember we read 'Lord of the Flies'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy, I really don't remember what was required reading, it must have not made a big impression.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read all of the works you listed, most of them while in high school. Or maybe junior high.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember Lord of the Flies and Anne Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cant recall required reading. I read anything I could get my hands on and my mom sent for books from the provincial library for me. Funny when you read a book again 40 or 50 years later it takes on a whole new meaning. Except Heart of Darkness. No clue in University and no clue now.

    ReplyDelete

I always felt free to let people comment as they see fit. If you have any desire to leave a comment that is spam or to exploit others.
If you have the need to express your self here and can only use swear words please keep in down to bare minimal.
please leave my blog and no need to come back.
If some reason you can not follow these simple request I will remove your post.
All others are welcome

Today Is Friday, October 18, 2024: This Is What Happened.

  Yesterday, Murphy and I went down to Post Falls to visit his sister Faith. She will be having back surgery sometime next week. I am not ...