Thursday, January 28, 2021

Today Is Thursday January 28 2020, This What Happen

 Yesterday I saw post about someone wasn't aloud into the kitchen. I was aloud to cook and sew at very young age. I don't cook much any more. Hubby pretty much takes care of that. I do miss it. I get off work usual between 2 and 5 in the afternoon. Due to lateness in evening I would just toss box of something in oven. So hubby does great job of cooking. 

So we came up when I retire on even days he will cook and clean up after. Then on the odd days I will cook and clean up after. Switch off every other weekend. Not sure about holidays.

I can remember the very first thing my mother actual let me make, it was buttermilk biscuits. Lot of time when grew up when fried chicken. Instead of potatoes we had biscuits. Then usual on Saturday my mom would make big batch of cookies. And all the neighborhood kids, including my self would line up and we all got to put our ingredients into the mixing bowls. Then we all got nice hot cookie straight from oven. Nothing like homemade cookie. But the strange thing she expected a large batch of cookie to last a week. Usual my day took one to three cookies in his lunch. Not every time when came home from school they was a cookie snack, but they was snack of some kind. Maybe an orange, banana, toast with something on it. One thing my mother knew where a dollar came from. If we ran out of cookie or something that should last in her mind a certain amount of time. Come hell of high water it wasn't going to appear. Only a few times I recall my parents running out of something. Had to wait usual less few days to get what it was. My parents did there major food shopping once a month. In blue moon my parents might went and got a few items. But I could guarantee it wasn't for one, two, or three items. But after her hardness. Every Christmas she make super large batch of sugar cookies. What all sort of colored icing and pretties to put on them. The neighbor kids also join in.

If I start right off putting in first thing I eat in my fitday and I do a lot better though out the day. Less naughty foods and more movement. But I did my morning exercises and did pretty good on my water. A little under. 

Coffee is on 

11 comments:

  1. We weren't allowed to play in the kitchen, no running around the table chasing each other, or anything like that, but we were allowed to help if mum was making something, like cakes or strudel, or even dinner, we were allowed to do things like peel potatoes or carrots or stir the gravy. We always liked licking out the bowl and spoon when mum was making cakes. After she left, Dad made the cakes and I still got to lick the spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned to cook and iron from a very early age and have taught my sons the same, they are adults 23 and 27 (this week I posted that they are getting to do the weekly food budget for me as I want them to be capable when they move out of caring for a family and if they get a wife who is useless they can take over!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in a big Italian family and as soon as we were old enough to hold a spoon we were given something to mix! 😊 I raised my kids the same. Babies on counters was the norm. Nobody ever fell off so we were good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...when it come to learning to cook, your mother is often the best teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all spend time in the kitchen, it's the most popular room here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I probably do most of the cooking Dora but if I cook P washes dishes and vice versa when he cooks, it works pretty well 😉 Happy weekend ✨

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember my grandfather coming home from work and tossing a cup of water on a pot roast my grandmother had simmering on the stove. She yelled "OLVER!" She wasn't happy that he did that. She always called him "Olver" although his name was Oliver. He'd also come home late at night and make (and eat)a plate of fudge. No wonder he eventually got "sugar"--what they used to call Type 2 diabetes, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and I share the cooking too, alone and together but not on a schedule as such. He usually gets breakfast though since he is up early.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I live alone, I cook for myself. I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was not allowed in the kitchen and try to cook, my mother was worried I would break something or I don't know what. Anyway I learned cooking with my husband and loved it very much. Today I have enough of cooking and we eat always ready made plates ! The cooking itself ist not difficult but cleaning up the pots and tidy up the kitchen is !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has come up in more than once place lately, and so I've been thinking on it. When did I learn to cook? I was making myself breakfast fairly early. I wasn't yet a teenager when I knew how to scramble an egg, make French toast, and poach an egg. As for the rest, I wasn't much of a cook, but I learned some skills early on.

    ReplyDelete

I always felt free to let people comment as they see fit. If you have any desire to leave a comment that is spam or to exploit others.
If you have the need to express your self here and can only use swear words please keep in down to bare minimal.
please leave my blog and no need to come back.
If some reason you can not follow these simple request I will remove your post.
All others are welcome

Today Is Thursday, April 25, 2024: This Is What Happened.

I've posted my artist trading cards and put them up for trade. I'm going to take a slight break from making artist trading cards. I...