Saturday, August 14, 2010

photo Hunt (Orange)


I couldn't believe they would pick orange for this week photo hunt theme. So as I was out for my morning walk with Rex and lord and behold plain as day there was my orange item. A Union Pacific train engine. Which my dad retied off of after having 50 years on the railroad.



I know I shared the story of how my dad beginning his railroad life
But I recall at one time my dad was a conductor and he was going to take a train from Spokane up pass Bonners Ferry up to East Port the US and Canada border. This run was known to railroad as 8 and 9.
So I guess everything was fine until he got to border and he stop and told they where free to look over the train and he and the crew was going to have a bite to eat at local cafe.
As you see they needed to have a least four hours of work time in before they could have a bit to eat. Well since the train wasn't going to be moving and the next time they would get chance to eat would be well into the day.
So they went for lunch then..



I don't recall how long my dad was gone on that run but my mom drove down in our 57 green GMC pick up to pick him off the train.
Well when he got into the pick up he told her “Some one squealed on him for taking lunch early” and he was spend-ed for 30 days with out pay”
I can recall the look on my mom face of shock and tear just like he were attack by some foreign county. Then my dad said he was going fishing. Which didn't help my mother. To her taking money out of the saving was something one only did for an emergency.



I have to say I believe money was important to my mom. I seen her be the most giving person but it was always on her terms.
I thought my dad made a wise choice. Heck the train was going to be stop at border and the crew might as well take lunch.
If someone tells you union worker can do anything they want this isn't true my dad was a member of the teamster union.



For more info on hunt

3 comments:

  1. Very cool photo and totally appropriate! My mother-in-law's father was a train conductor, made her childhood very whimsical in some ways and challenging in others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aloha,

    enjoyed viewing your orange themed train, i thought your related comments on your father were a nice insight also with the train, thanks for sharing this

    my inspiration for this weeks photohunt is on my sari blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things I see in everyday life often take me back to my childhood days. Thank you for sharing a bit of yourself today.
    My post is at http://www.madamememe.com

    ReplyDelete

I always felt free to let people comment as they see fit. If you have any desire to leave a comment that is spam or to exploit others.
If you have the need to express your self here and can only use swear words please keep in down to bare minimal.
please leave my blog and no need to come back.
If some reason you can not follow these simple request I will remove your post.
All others are welcome

Today Is Sunday, April 28, 2024: This Is What Happened.

  It's a cloudy day. It will likely rain. Later, I'm going to try an automatic drawing challenge for seven days. I got the idea fro...