Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Holiday Traditions


My so called novel is up to 1390 Words as of yesterday


Over at Pea Corner or Stranded in the Mountain I discovered that SAHM is hosting “Holiday traditional” as always I’m a day late or dollar short


The number of guess will depend from year to year. I’ve seen it up to close to 30 guess and as low as 10 guess.
Honest time...I find it some what discomfort at the holiday gathering because of the incident between Murphy and his brother Earl I know they’re as discomfort as we are. They decided to act civil to each other at family function or in public.
Then have nothing to do with each other.


Well our Thanksgiving is pretty simple. Turkey and all the trimmings. For the last couple of years I end up doing some pies. I’ll do two to five pies.
Last year we had Thanksgiving dinner over at my Sister in law Faith. Before dinner we have cocktails. Which includes hard liquor, wine, beer, soda pop, juice, tea, coffee, and water.
After we stuff our faces. We play card games and board games.




Christmas is little more festive then Thanksgiving. The day after Thanksgiving some of my in law goes in and do their Christmas shopping. Confession time...I have no desire to be engaged with that many people.
Soon as the rush is calm down I’ll do my Christmas shopping. I buy my usual gifts and majority of years I pick a charity to give a gift to. This year it will be Toys for tots
The first part of December I put out my smaller Christmas decorations, then I slowly start to address my Christmas cards. My friend Quenelle always sends Christmas card with Angels. Every year I make sure their something different. This year I’m going to send out Stockings on my Christmas cards.
I put up tree fairly early and take it down December 26. We have some property North of Bonners Ferry and we go up and cut our own Christmas tree. I’m picky when it comes to tree for Christmas. I don’t care for farm grown trees, because the only thing you can do with them is lay your ornaments on it. But yet I don’t want a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.
I don’t have any sort of theame that I put on our Christmas tree.
Murphy usual puts some lights on trees out side.
During the month of November and December I make some goodies. But this year I’m going to cut back.
Our big Christmas Family get together is Christmas eve. Our dinner consist of Pizza, Oyster Stew, rolls, salads, finger foods, and desert.
After once again we stuff our face.
We all buy for the little kids and last year their was 8 their.
Then the teenagers had a gift exchange and if memory calls 4 teen-aged boys was their.
Now for the adult gift exchange. We all bring one gift right around 20 bucks. There gift wrapped and put in middle of circle.
We then draw numbers. The person draw number #1 picks out first gift, who every draws #2 picks up the second gift and so forth.
We play a dice game. We take pair of dice and a small tray and everytime we roll a pair we can swap our gift with someone.
But some one set a timer for about 10 to 15 minute and once the buzzer goes off. What gift you have is yours.


Christmas day is a little lighter. We stay home and open gifts with our own family. I make Lasagna for Christmas day dinner and what every I feel like.
We open the gifts that Murphy, the boys, and I exchange between the four of us.

5 comments:

  1. I hate group gatherings, and we don't have much for family. I'm finding traditional holiday times a little odd these last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have a nice Christmas. Thanks for the apple butter tip. I love the smell and like you said it makes the whole house smell good.

    A fun twist on your gifts - we do like you but the second person can take the first persons gift or pick an un opened one from under the tree. The third can take the gift from one or two or pick from the tree.

    If the third person takes number twos gift, the can take number one or choose from under the tree.

    If you have the gift in your possession three times it is yours and no one can take it from you.

    This can be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoyed reading about your Holiday Traditions...yes it is hard when you have two family members who don't get along the rest of the year but it is nice when they can put their differences aside for the sake of the other family members during the holidays. I prefer a small gathering at Christmas time than I do a big crowd...the last few years there's only been 6 of us and I find that just right:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate shopping the day after thanksgiving too :) And if you're looking for a good Christmas card, check out my blog!!! Help out a starving artist :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just found out I'm being abandoned this Christmas, I always go to my Dad's for the day, except they have decided to go on holiday this year! my daughter ROsie is now worried about who is going to feed her!

    ReplyDelete

I always felt free to let people comment as they see fit. If you have any desire to leave a comment that is spam or to exploit others.
If you have the need to express your self here and can only use swear words please keep in down to bare minimal.
please leave my blog and no need to come back.
If some reason you can not follow these simple request I will remove your post.
All others are welcome

Today Is Saturday, May 4, 2024: This Is What Happened.

  When I change cameras, I usually have trouble pulling the photo off the camera onto the laptop. Not this time.   Murphy and I clean some...