Saturday, November 11, 2006

Duane Witherell

As of yesterday my so called famous novel is up to 3,894 words.



As today is Veteran Day and end of World War I. But I like to tell about my Great Grand Grandpa Duane Witherell who severed in the Civil War.
Duane was born April 22, 1847 in Pokagen Michigan to Gilman and Mary Ann (Simpson) Witherell he was their youngest child.
As in his late teens he was called to duty to serve in the union army. As I’ve read he wasn’t all that thrilled about going.
Duane got in the army toward the end of the Civil War and was a foot soldier out of group in Michigan.
One of his older brother Henry died of disease in Tennessee and was a sergeant in the Calvary.





This is a picture of Duane in his early 20's.
I’ve been told about how he was a part of President Lincoln funeral. In springfield Illinois where Lincoln is buried that my Great Grandpa Duane got to fire a volly of shot at Lincoln grave side service part. He was part of the 21 gun salute






This is a picture of Duane in his 40's
I also been told stories how he was a tight wade. One of his favor saying was... I wouldn’t pay a plumb Nickle to see Jesus Christ do somersaults
He smoked a pipe and wouldn’t use his own matches. He would fine a stick and light the stick off the stoke or wait until someone else struck up a match



After the war he married Dora Stansell the daughter of William and Margaret (Siver) Stansell who was from New York They had two Sons.
One day his wife Dora bought a dress and Duane said,” Dora are you spending money again” and she replied “ oh honey I’ve had this dress for while” My opinion...I guess a while can be any time length one may desire.

Duane Farm mainly and worked some other odd jobs. I know he an Montgomery Ward sold shoes together and he was going to be a business partner with Wards and he bailed out.

Duane died at the age of 83 in Michigan

3 comments:

  1. I just love seeing old pictures like that and the story behind the person!! You are so lucky to have such old pictures!! It certainly does seem like he had an interesting life but what a shame he was such a tight wad! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was very handsome..Your lucky to have photos. I have some of my great grandparents too..and some history. I Love being able to look back at my family tree..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love old photos like that. I think its great that you know some stories to go along with them, too. Very cool that you know family history from that far back.

    ReplyDelete

I always felt free to let people comment as they see fit. If you have any desire to leave a comment that is spam or to exploit others.
If you have the need to express your self here and can only use swear words please keep in down to bare minimal.
please leave my blog and no need to come back.
If some reason you can not follow these simple request I will remove your post.
All others are welcome

Today Is Saturday, May 4, 2024: This Is What Happened.

  When I change cameras, I usually have trouble pulling the photo off the camera onto the laptop. Not this time.   Murphy and I clean some...