Friday, May 18, 2007

Don't Shoot the Messenger

(2004) Four years ago Edan was hired full time. The previous ground crew boss John Doe pinned with Edan. John Doe had the most seniority at that time at Tree R Us. The first year Edan rarely made a racist remark. John Doe was in charge of everyone.

John Doe retired from the dig crew that spring. I (Murphy) took over from John Doe as dig crew boss. Tony was the ultimate boss.

That fall the dig started without John Doe. Edan called me a nigger in front of the whole crew. I said “Yea I’m proud of my African American heritage. I have a huge dick. Would you like to come over and take a look at it?”
Ron and Luke laughed so hard I thought they were going to pass out. Edan has made racist remarks since.


(2005) The next spring everything went very good, although Edan kept up the racist remarks.

One time that stands out during the dig was Edan saying “I only respect white guys with money”


(2006) That spring I (Murphy) gave Edan a ride to work. I(Murphy) stopped at a gas station every day I (Murphy) bought breakfast and coffee. I (Murphy) went to the bathroom. Edan never went to that one.
After 15 minutes we went to work and started to make baskets a ½ hour early.
While Mike was their Edan helped as soon as Mike was gone. Edan walked past the Porta Potty and went out to an old outhouse near the woods, so he wouldn’t have to share toilets with white guys.

He wouldn’t let out clothes touch his in the pickup, and routinely through our clothes on the floor and stepped on them.
Tony wouldn’t let me know when we were going to change basket types, as he had in the past.
He said I needed to ask before he did it-which amounted to begging. Twice he watched me make and load the wrong baskets. When I asked, he replied “you never asked.”

During that dig I got sick, and went to the doctor missing part of the day. Soon after that Mike started paying $15.00 per hour for any overtime. Mike said it was optional. I was still sick, but I worked my 9-hour day-no overtime.
Mike paid a crew $15.00 an hour to dig that Sunday (still optional) I passed so I was nearly well, but needed some rest.

That morning Tony Stepson told me I was finished, and he was going to have my job.
I told Mike about it and he said John Doe was just trying to cause trouble. Mike said it was optional.

Soon after that I lost my pruners. They were engraved with an X behind the jaws.
I asked Tony about them and he said “Are you calling me a thief” My reply was no, just keep your eyes open for them.
When the dig was over Mike, let John Doe go. Then Tony told me Edan was going to be the ground boss next spring 2007.

(2006) That Fall. Edan told me, as soon as he was boss, he was going to fire all the white guys.
Tony heard it all and was amused and smiling.


(2007) That Spring. I crowned trees. Edan kept his racist remarks going.
I was now working at the tail end of the process away from Edan and Tony.
April 3, 2007. I told off Tony Stepson John Doe at the shell station. Said “your step dad told me John Doe (Hidden Valley Ranch) didn’t hire white guys. John Doe said “He hired me.” I (Murphy) said “Thanks for helping put a racist in charge (Edan).” John Doe said “I hate Edan too.”

At the end of the day Tony approached my pick up and said “if you have a problem with me talk to me, not John Doe.”
I said “yea I have a problem with you. You’re a bigot.”
Then he called over Mike. Mike asked “what’s the problem?” I spoke up “Tony brought a racist on the place, and I’m tired of being a called white guy, I have a name -Murphy.
Upon hearing all this Luke came over and entered the conversation. He told Mike about several racist remarks directed at him from Edan while Tony was standing nearby.
I (Murphy) added “How would they like it if we brought John Doe (a racist who pulled a gun on Tony) to work with us.
Mike said “You guys wouldn’t like that either. I want this to stop. Can you guys get along?
I said “yes”

After the 3rd of April Edan “White Guy” comments went down too about once a day.
When I heard that talk I would say “ I thought we didn’t talk that way here.” Edan said “I wasn’t talking to you.”

April 16, 2007 Approx 10:00 A.M. I was talking to Edan and said “your yellow shirt and matching hat look nice.”
Edan looked at me and said “it would look good on a white guy too” I let it go and said nothing.

Approx. 3PM. We were digging trees and they weren’t standing up well. Edan start yelling so everyone on the ground crew could hear. “We need some nigger to hold up these trees.” The crew got mad and started to arguing with Edan.
Tony got off the tractor (I guess to see what was happening) I said “you’re the blackest one out here.” At that point Tony said was that a racist remark?
Edan called the crew niggers. The whole crew spoke up and said he calling them niggers.
Tony told Edan he shouldn’t do that.

Then I told Mike that Edan told me last fall as soon as he becomes boss that he was “going to fire all the white guys.”
I (Murphy) said Tony was standing nearby and heard it all and he (Tony) can fire me.
Then I said that isn’t much different then John Doe (a local racist) pulling a gun on Tony.
Mike said “there is a big difference.”

It was starting time and I went out in the field to dig trees.Tony was there and called me over and said he talked to Edan.
Tony said the next guy to say anything racist would be fired.
I said “good now let work together as a team and gave him a thumb up.

The next two weeks were the most pleasant work day I had in three years. I told Ron the manger after a week I was happy again. He replied “good”

After work I told Mike that Edan was making racial slurs again. Mike said “just live with it” I told him I have been living with it for 3 years and I’m tired of it. Mike said, “I have too live with a lot of things too.

April 17th. Before work started I went to fill my water jug.Mike and Ron (manager) were standing near the water hydrant.
They were both smiled and said good morning. I said good morning. I went around the corner to fill up my jug. When I walk past Mike he looked really angry and was shaking He said “I did what you wanted do” (Ron walked away)
I guess I have to make special rule for you. What do I have to do watch over you guys?
I heard you talk about sex out there too. Then he asked what did Edan say yesterday that was racist I told him about Edan calling me a white boy and the crew niggers.
He said none of that was directed at you personally (I didn’t respond) Mike said I was making a big deal about nothing. I replied I suppose it was pretty minor, because it wasn’t directed at you.

The first thing in the morning Mike, told John Doe and I to go out and tie trees for an Alaska cargo container truck. There were about 20 trees in 40-44” balls 3-3.5” caliper about 15-20 ft. tall.
We had a 25 ft of the trailer to put them in.

John Doe and I tied for about 45 minutes then Mike came in the gate with the truck. Then he parked it just past the sunken loading dock. The dock is built in the ground with railroad ties, held in place with posts.

The truck driver got out and opened the doors and hooked them to the side of the truck. I told the truck driver (with John Doe at my side) “The doors would need to be bought in further. “
The driver unhooked the door and tried to bring the doors in closer but there was no easy to hook it in closer.

Luke went to back to, the loading dock and flagged him in standing opposite the damaged door. The trucker got in the truck and started it. John Doe and I went to get cardboard and a crimpier
Luke backed in the truck with doors still hooked loosely. Damage might have occurred while Luke was backing the truck in? He said the driver had to make severed attempts to get in. I looked back from the pick up as John Doe and I were getting water cardboard and a crimpier, and saw the driver pull out at least once for anther attempt.

When the truck was loaded it was about 20,000 pounds heavier.
Luke went over to the driver side to flag him out. I told John Doe to push the doors against the trailer. I did the same. My door latch hit top of the post. There wasn’t any breakage sound, but the rod did make contact!

When the truck came out of the loading dock. I unhooked the door and saw the damage. The door latch was pulled away from some of the fiberglass and plywood underneath it. Tad looked it over and forced things back in place with a pipe. The door locked and the driver left.

During lunchtime: Tony told everyone in the lunchroom when he was building the dock.
He told Mike it needed it to be wider.
Mike told him it was wide enough.

John Doe and I pulled trunk protectors off trees at the Levigs field. When we were done we drove back to the home place. Anne drove up to the office. She got out of her pickup looked back at us and said “ Didn’t you learn anything the other day. Rick or I didn’t know what she was talking about.
Then she said if they don’t accept the container onboard. They will have to pay the trucker and loose the sale.
I really didn’t know what to say; so I said “I’m sorry” and left to crimp about the last 20 minutes of the day. I went in and saw Luke and Tony looking at the flatbed truck, and asked them about the incident and asked what I did the other day I should of learn from?
They didn’t know.
The next morning Friday May 5 I was fired for: To much breakage.
I called Luke the tractor operator. He told me that all the temporary workers were let go. He told me that it wasn’t my fault. He didn’t know whose fault it was. The door might have been damaged on the way in? They sawed off the posts that were sticking up, so it wouldn’t happen again.
I called Ron later that night, and he said that he thought that my firing was racially motivated and offered to help, if I needed it.
Saturday May 6 I talked to John Doe at his home. He offered to tell what happened , and was supportive..
Monday May 8 I talked to John Doe another temporary worker. He said that Tony told him that Mike was looking for a reason to fire me. John Doe agreed that my firing was due to complaining about racism in the workplace.

My personal notes this what went on at the place where Murphy worked. The events and place names are correct. Personal Names have been changed. When the name John Doe I haven't yet asign an alias to or they at the time haven't play much of role.
This is part of the document that Murphy type out.
Murphy applied for his unemployment but in Idaho if your fired you can not get your unemployment benefits unless you appeal it and we are now going threw that process now.
Will post that at a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always felt free to let people comment as they see fit. If you have any desire to leave a comment that is spam or to exploit others.
If you have the need to express your self here and can only use swear words please keep in down to bare minimal.
please leave my blog and no need to come back.
If some reason you can not follow these simple request I will remove your post.
All others are welcome

Today Is Sunday, April 28, 2024: This Is What Happened.

  It's a cloudy day. It will likely rain. Later, I'm going to try an automatic drawing challenge for seven days. I got the idea fro...