Tuesday, June 20, 2006

I live With Out being Hooked Up To The Power Company

A short time ago Nio did a blogg about a man who lived off the grid


The first 17 years of Murphy and my life we lived with out being hooked up to electrical company or a water company. We had a solar panel which was wired in to a 12 volt battery and in the summer months we ran our solar panel directly into our 12 volt lights.
At one time we had a hand water pump to pump our water in to a storage barrel and later on we bought a diesel generator. And wired it in to the well and rest of the house. ( We then lived in a mobile home)
Caught rain water in barrel for garden well for almost everything except drinking. During the winter months we melt ice and snow on the wood stove


I try to look at life as an adventure with a lot of opportunity. To me living off the grid in some way their a sense of freedom.
You’ll mange your life a lot different when off or on the grid. Example... Some one needs to watch the battery that being charge to solar panel to make sure the battery doesn’t boil over


I learn if their every economical clasp I could survive.
These are some of the reaction people have to you when you live off the grid...What the hell wrong with you not being hooked up don’t you know this 1900's . Boy it most be nice not to have a power bill. (Well we had to buy kerosene for our oil lamps) “No Free Lunch in life”. Your standing up to the establishment.


The reason we left the living off the grid is because my mom died and I’m an only child and inherited her estate which includes a house. Anyhow our mobile home floor was giving in.
Honest time...I would like to do this home to be more energy effecaint( I know it not spelled right) I try not be a big consumer and I guess that one thing I try not to do is waste Waste not want not .

Before I close, were I live now I would put up a small personal wind mill and generate power that way. Sometime sitting up living off the grid is cheap either

3 comments:

  1. That's pretty neat. I'm hoping that once we get into our next (FINAL) house/land, we'll be able to set up some of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:56 AM

    Wow, that's amazing. I don't know if I could ever do that but it does give you the opportunity to live off your resources without being dependent on a company to supply it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My RV is setup to be pretty self-sufficent. I have 270 watts of solar panels, 440 amp hours of house batteries, a 5.5kw generator, 65 gal fresh water, two holding tanks for waste water, satellite TV. Of course I do eventually have to buy fuel & propane, add water & dump holding tanks, plus buy food at the store. I have stayed two weeks in the desert without any other contacts for the rig. My biggest problem is going a day without a mocha!

    ReplyDelete

I always felt free to let people comment as they see fit. If you have any desire to leave a comment that is spam or to exploit others.
If you have the need to express your self here and can only use swear words please keep in down to bare minimal.
please leave my blog and no need to come back.
If some reason you can not follow these simple request I will remove your post.
All others are welcome

Today Is Tuesday, April 30, 2024: This Is What Happened.

  Last day of the month. Since it was the last day. I try to get the photo looking west from my driveway. It has been cloudy most of the da...